You Are a Purple Crayon
Your world is colored in dreamy, divine, and classy colors.
You hold yourself to a sky high standard, and you are always graceful.
People envy, idolize, and copy you without realizing it. You are an icon for those who know you.
And while it is hard to be a perfectionist, rest assured it's paying off!
Your color wheel opposite is yellow. While yellow people may be wise, they lack the manners and class needed to impress you.
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Friday, August 24, 2007
Sally said "I have spent the week at Summer School studying the Gospel and Western culture, we have looked at art, literature, music, film and popular culture in their myriad expressions. With that in mind I bring you the cultural Friday 5.
1. Book: I guess too many to mention would be a cop out, but I read so much. I can't think of a particular one at this time. Maybe "The Heart is a Lonley Hunter" and Victor Frankl "Man's Search for Meaning."
2. Piece of music: At one time I would have said Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" Now, I'm not so sure.
3. Work of art: Christo's Gates most recently (see picture taken by me in Central Park) Most work by Louise Nevelson-always. Big things.Things that you can walk around in. Once I was in Boston and I went to a show called "Air, Earth, Fire and Water" It had REALLY BIG works that were active and I liked it enough to go several times during my short visit. I like art that overwhelms me in a physical way. Hmmm...
4. Film: Brokeback Mountain, Gallipoli
5. Unusual engagement with popular culture: When I was-just-16, and living in Ohio, a friend took me to California for 3 weeks and one of our stops was at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. That really shaped my vision of art.
Bonus: Is engagement essential to your Christian faith, how and why?
Hmmm. What does this mean? Lets look it up...
Main Entry: en·gage·ment
Pronunciation: in-'gAj-m&nt, en-
1 a : an arrangement to meet or be present at a specified time and place b : a job or period of employment especially as a performer
2 : something that engages : PLEDGE
3 a : the act of engaging : the state of being engaged b : emotional involvement or commitment
4 : the state of being in gear
5 : a hostile encounter between military forces
I guess it would have to be 3, emotional involvment or commitment. I would say yes. Emotion is definitely necessary. We are believing is something that we can't see, can't prove, can't touch. It takes more than intellect. Something must come come from the heart.
*For more results look to the upper right hand corner and click on Revgalpals.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
I usually avoid posting on the Tuesday topic as I'm not a professional Rev. (yes, I admit it, It's true, don't hate me.) I minister to the mind and not the soul-and sometimes-like today, I must return my flock to the institution from whence they came, kicking and screaming-not a good day. However, I digress. Sabbath is an issue that has come up in my household of two, one Christian and one Jewish. Saturday and Sunday. Sabbaths.
When we met, we were one agnostic and one atheist, We are now two agnostics, both struggling toward faiths of our own. My beloved, after a particularly impassioned drash by her rabbi and a retreat on this subject (which I attended) decided to keep the Sabbath holy. This was the day that we shopped, walked around our beloved NYC, visited with friends, etc, etc. It basically turned her into a couch potato on the phone to relatives for the whole of Saturdays.
I have always have observed the Sabbath as was the custom in my home growing up. Of course the whole of North America is conditioned to observe the Sabbath. Especially in the 50's and 60's in Ohio. Blue laws, no shopping. Both parents off. Church in the morning then midday dinner and a nap. My pre school than work anxiety carried me into inactivety in the afternoon to evening and that was the day. Not much has changed for me. But adjusting for BL has been an adjustment. Going to the Strand-my favorite used bookstore alone-then a single lunch. Must get out of the house-good for my mental health. It was really the only day we had the full day together. We had a talk about it. I guess I may have gotten my way more than she. I'll have to apologize.
Your Psyche is Blue
You are deeply emotional and very connected to everything (and everyone) around you.
By simply understanding other people, you are able to help them heal and let go.
While you are a very deep and thoughtful person, you do have a very silly, superficial side.
When you are too blue: the weight of the world's problems hangs over you
When you don't have enough blue: you lack perspective and understanding
And why shouldn't my color by blue. Seems to fit and why are all the damn therapists out of town in August!