Sally said "I have spent the week at Summer School studying the Gospel and Western culture, we have looked at art, literature, music, film and popular culture in their myriad expressions. With that in mind I bring you the cultural Friday 5.
1. Book: I guess too many to mention would be a cop out, but I read so much. I can't think of a particular one at this time. Maybe "The Heart is a Lonley Hunter" and Victor Frankl "Man's Search for Meaning."
2. Piece of music: At one time I would have said Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" Now, I'm not so sure.
3. Work of art: Christo's Gates most recently (see picture taken by me in Central Park) Most work by Louise Nevelson-always. Big things.Things that you can walk around in. Once I was in Boston and I went to a show called "Air, Earth, Fire and Water" It had REALLY BIG works that were active and I liked it enough to go several times during my short visit. I like art that overwhelms me in a physical way. Hmmm...
4. Film: Brokeback Mountain, Gallipoli
5. Unusual engagement with popular culture: When I was-just-16, and living in Ohio, a friend took me to California for 3 weeks and one of our stops was at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. That really shaped my vision of art.
Bonus: Is engagement essential to your Christian faith, how and why?
Hmmm. What does this mean? Lets look it up...
Main Entry: en·gage·ment
Pronunciation: in-'gAj-m&nt, en-
1 a : an arrangement to meet or be present at a specified time and place b : a job or period of employment especially as a performer
2 : something that engages : PLEDGE
3 a : the act of engaging : the state of being engaged b : emotional involvement or commitment
4 : the state of being in gear
5 : a hostile encounter between military forces
I guess it would have to be 3, emotional involvment or commitment. I would say yes. Emotion is definitely necessary. We are believing is something that we can't see, can't prove, can't touch. It takes more than intellect. Something must come come from the heart.
*For more results look to the upper right hand corner and click on Revgalpals.