Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Five


Our sister blogger posts:
Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...

With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5;
------------------------------------------
1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?

I have the potential to be a hoarder, but with the heritage of a minimalist (my mother) and a 500sq' ft. apt. I share with my beloved-the hoarder, we have to be vigilant or otherwise we are living in piles of newspapers, photographs, old mail, etc. (The beloved is the one who saves the newspapers. I drag in furniture from the street, a popular sport in NYC.)

2. Name one important object ( could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.
My mothers cookware and a Stickley rocking chair I bought at a yardsale for $25. in 1980.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???
I donate things that don't fit to Housing Works an organization that helps people with Aids to get housing, employment, etc. What great thrift stores THEY have. More stuff comes in than goes in opposite direction. I'm sitting in a Stress Less Chair with foot rest that I got for $135. (I'm sensing a theme here.)

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?

I love em, but not so many in NYC.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.

Recyclying is regimented in NYC. The bins are in the compactor room. All different colors. I'd like to go to the library instead of buying so many books. I do donate the books to-where else-Housing Works.

And for a bonus- well anything you want to add....

Finally I have some time, but I don't want it. I have hepatitis. But how did I get it. I was feeling kind of punk. I though I had a uti, so I called my gp for a script. My beloved insisted I go to her doc when I wasn't getting any better. Voila-something is wrong with you liver! It seems to be-at this point-Hep A-you know-the kind you can get from a SALAD BAR! Who knew...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man... no fun on the hep. Will it clear up with no long-term effects? I always get the types and their traits all mixed up. I once knew a grad student in environmental engineering who turned up with the really scary nasty type of hepatitis years after her stint as a student researcher trolling around in garbage dumps.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the hepA--hope you feel better soon!

Processing Counselor said...

Thanks to both of you. From what I understand, I have the simplest kind, you can get it if your chef, cook does not wash their hands after using the bathroom and they have it (and isn't that a pleasent thought!) That's all I know so far. I just feel kinda week, fall asleep alot. No fun.

Mary Beth said...

Yuck! Praying for you to feel better soon.

Oh, and I want one of those chairs!

leah said...

2 people in 500 square feet, oh wow! sorry about the hep, too--what a literal downer. oh, major congrats on playing 1st!

Lori said...

Bummer about the Hep A. What's free time good for when you want to be up and doing?

I admire your being able to live simply in 500 sf with your beloved.

Jan said...

So sorry that you're ill with hepatitis. Be gentle with yourself and take care.

Cathy said...

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Hepatitis A -- hope it gets under control.

And 500 sq ft. wow -- you do have to be a minimalist to live in that space.

Sue said...

Oh my, I'm sorry about the hepA. Our place is 777 sq.ft. and I like the enforced neatness that the small space imposes on us.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

RevDrKate said...

Prayers for your speedy recovery. I am impressed at your ability to live with a small footprint as well.

Unknown said...

What a collector you are.

Live here in AL. and you can go yard saling to your heart's content.

I'll be praying for you as you recover and heal.