Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2007

SFX Catholic Lesbians Visit Gay Synagogue


What an evening we had. About 12 women showed up and we had saved seats up front and center at Holy Apostles Church, the temporary home of Congregation Beth Simchat Torah. Sue and I got there at 6:30 and two of the women from SFX from Yonkers showed up, then no-one for awhile. Then-a whole group streamed in. I felt proud and happy. When I went to SFX in January it was with some trepidation. I had been away (from the Catholic Church) for quite some time, but what I found was a small group of women who were very involved in their faith and very involved with the group, in planning program, in social justice issues, in supporting each other. They welcomed me warmly and gradually I felt at home.
Last night I was glad to introduce them to CBST, the spiritual home of my parner Sue.I was also somewhat interested to see the reaction of the congreation of these strangers in their midst. It was not the night to do this, as it was a huge celebration of the new cantor, David Berger a beautiful singer. The service was long, very long conpared to a catholic mass. I started at 7:00 and we got out sometime close to 9:00. The SFX women were exuberant and excited. We all had dinner at a local diner and Sue explained all that they had seen. What a night

No comments: