Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gay Pride 1972 NYC


My first Gay March was in 1972.
That was the year I moved to NYC. Since the Stonewall riots were in 1969, that would have been the 4th year after the stonewall riots. I was a member of the Gay Activists Alliance a group that met at an abandoned firehouse in SOHO before it was fashionable. That year we marched from Central Park to Washington Square Park in the Village. Later I'll scan some pictures I took and post them. Not time now. At that time I was working for SR Rosenberg LTD a store planning company making $100. per week, no benefits and lived in a sublet with 2 men. The person I was renting from was a dancer who was working for the summer stock company I just resigned from. I was thrilled and scared to be living in NYC. I was poor but free at last to be living as myself an open lesbian. It was a heady time with women's liberation really going strong and the gay liberation movement lively. I was in love for the first, but not the last, time.

5 comments:

LittleMary said...

i would LOVE to see some of those old pictures, and hear more of these stories!

Barbara B. said...

Yes, please post some pictures when you get a chance!

Terri said...

Well, in 1972 I was 15, but in many ways even though I am not a lesbian, I have travelled a similar journey with my friends who are....

Mary Beth said...

Tell it!

Sally said...

:-) great memories, bet the photos make you smile now!!!