Friday, March 14, 2008
Friday Five -Time for Palms
Can you believe Daylight Savings Time is here already? It's hard to get used to the new, earlier onset. My family has been getting up and out a little late and a little sleepy in the mornings.
And can you believe that in two days it will be Palm Sunday for Western Christians? Our Lent is almost over, while our Orthodox sisters and brothers, whose liturgical year follows the older Julian calendar, are just starting theirs. Nicholas did a recent book report on George Washington, and we were surprised to find out that our first President's birthday was originally Feb. 11, since he was born just before the change to the Gregorian calendar. Apparently the change almost caused rioting, as some indignant people were sure that they were being cheated out of eleven days of their lives!
To help you adjust--and enjoy the process--here's a Friday Five about time and transitions....
Who decided to move up daylight savings time. I get up at 5:00am and now I'm back to going to work in the dark! I'm grumpy about this. I hear it was W. probably so that he could play a little golf or drop a few more bombs.
1. If you could travel to any historical time period, which would it be, and why?
I've learned over long painful lessons to live in the present time. If there was one time I would like to have a peek at it would be the childhood and young womanhood of my mother.
2. What futuristic/science fiction development would you most like to see?
See above-Live in the moment.
3. Which do you enjoy more: remembering the past, or dreaming for the future?
As in 3.
4. What do you find most memorable about this year's Lent?
I'm taking Good Friday off. Maybe I'll do the Stations of the Cross across 42nd St with Pax Christi (a political action)
5. How will you spend your time during this upcoming Holy Week? What part do you look forward to most?
I'll be working... But Friday I'm Not!