Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday Five-Oldie but Goodie but New to Me


Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....

1) dessert/cookie/family food

I miss all the foods my mother used to cook, in particular, Christmas cookies! All of her life she was a harried cook as she worked, but after she retired-well she was off to the races.

Now for the part I don't like. LATKES Greasy, heavy, with onions. Yuk-The traditional food of Hanukah. The tradition goes that because the oil for the lamps lasted for 8 days one should eat fried foods, jelly donuts (not so bad) and LATKES. I will be posting Debbie Friedmans ode to a Latke in a few days.

2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)

As recovering people say, Alcoholism in a 3 prong disease, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Nought Said!

3) tradition (church, family, other)

I'd have to say the dreaded OFFICE PARTY! Where you have to play with people you don't even want to work with!

4) decoration

The exess of decorations and music that start even before Thanksgiving and drive my Jewish Beloved crazy! (although I love walking through the piles of Christmas trees on the sidewalk-the smell really changes the scent of NYC!)

5) gift (received or given)

The big bag of recycled gifts that I get every Christmas and birthday from an office mate. Yikes! And I'm not the only one. Fortunately she retired and doesn't make the trip to Brooklyn.

BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it.
Anything that you can buy at Hallmark or by a pop artist that has just been put out for the season to generate bucks.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, you made me think of something I like! The way Christmas smells.
Thanks, I needed that.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I "left" the office Christmas party four years ago when I went to seminary. Miss it???? Not a chance!!!

Mary Beth said...

Recycled gifts! Really!!!

Terri said...

I once worked for an interior designer and the Christmas Office party was over the top - too much of everything in the food and alcohol department, it was awful. Since then I haven't gone to any office parties...don't miss 'em

chartreuseova said...

"OFFICE PARTY! Where you have to play with people you don't even want to work with!"

That made me laugh so hard.

Sue said...

I've never tasted latkes. Now I know what to expect if I ever get the opportunity.

I agree about the office parties. It's one part of my first career that I don't miss.

Shelly said...

Office parties- oh, do I have stories to tell! Let me just say people who work together should never drink together. Never had a Latke, but certainly I have had plenty of heavy fried foods and I really don't like them. I end up feeling greasy all over for some reason.

Identity Mixed said...

The office party. Don't miss it one bit. I used to have to keep a stack of wrapped Dollar Store crap for those weirdos who would get me stuff every year.